Animal Control

adopt logo rabies tag vet care logo volunteer logo wildlife logo
Adopt a Pet Purchase Rabies Registration Tag Local Vet Care How to Help Nuisance Wildlife

Grundy County Animal Control is dedicated to safeguarding the welfare of our community’s animals. Our mission is to promote responsible pet ownership, enforce animal-related laws, and ensure the humane treatment of animals. From reuniting lost pets with their owners to providing care for the abandoned, abused and stray animals, we’re here to serve Grundy County with compassion and expertise. Discover how we’re making a difference in the lives of animals and residents alike.

Grundy County Animal Control Building
310 Dupont Rd
Morris, IL 60450
Monday – Friday: 8am – 4pm
(815) 942-9214
(815) 942-5265
Animal Control FAQs
How much does it cost to adopt an animal?
All animals are spayed/neutered, vaccinated against rabies, microchipped, de-wormed, and treated for fleas and ticks.

Female Dogs $219.00
Male Dogs $189.00
All Cats $75.00

View our Adoptable Pets
Online Donations
Make an online donation to help support the homeless pets of Grundy County

Registration Fees – Dogs and Companion Cats (this DOES NOT apply to feral cats)
To pay online you MUST add the $3 shipping and handling fee to the normal fee amount.

Length of Vaccination Purchased in Person Purchased Online
One year rabies vaccine/altered/under 1 year old $15.00 $18.00
One year rabies vaccine/unaltered $45.00 $48.00
Three year rabies vaccine/altered $25.00  $28.00
Three year rabies vaccine/unaltered  $60.00 $63.00

It is required for online registration to submit your pet's rabies certificate to our office. This can be done by visiting our Rabies Registration Page.

**Click on the button below to make your payment.  You MUST pay the amount listed under “Pay Online” to process your transaction. This amount includes the shipping & handling fees to process and receive the required tag by mail.

When completed your pet's Registration Tag will be mailed to you.


All credit card transactions are charged a convenience fee by the credit card processor at the time of the transaction.
Rabies Vaccine – IT'S THE LAW!
  • Every owner of a dog 4 months or more of age shall have each dog inoculated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian.
  • Every owner of a cat that is a companion animal and is 4 months or more of age shall have each cat inoculated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian.
See Illinois Animal Control Act (510 ILCS 5/8) (from Ch. 8, par. 358) for full requirements of Rabies inoculation.
After hours Emergency Reports
Duty hours are Monday – Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm.

After duty hours we will only respond to the following:

  1. Animal bite in which the animal is not contained by the owner and is posing a threat and the owner cannot be located.
  2. An injured domestic (dog or cat) stray animal and the owner cannot be located.
  3. Police assists involving animals (arrests, house fire, car accidents)
Non-emergencies that we will NOT respond to consist of the following:

  1. Animal’s running loose.
  2. Animal bites in which the owner of the biting animal is present.
Wildlife Issues
Chanooka Wildlife Removal (815)909-8079

We do not handle any wildlife on private property.  Contact wildlife personnel, Daniel Brault at 815-471-6155 or Rob Wolf at 708-203-7967.  Please note that any wildlife personnel are independent and will charge for their services.

For more information on living with wildlife in our area visit
24 Hour Vets in the area
Need emergency pet care after hours?

Animal Care Center of Plainfield
14411 Illinois Route 59
Plainfield IL  60544

VCA Aurora Animal Hospital
2600 W Galena Blvd
Aurora IL 60506
Local Vet Services
Animal Care of Morris – Morris  815-941-9924
Dwight Veterinary Clinic – Dwight 815-671-4070
Lakewood Animal Hospital – Morris 815-942-1199
Mallard Point Veterinary – Channahon 815-467-4855
Minooka Animal Hospital – Minooka   815-467-0700
Morris Veterinary – Morris 815-942-2100
Pine Bluff Animal Hospital – Morris  815-942-5365
Shirkey Veterinary Clinic – Coal City 815-634-2424
Skinner Veterinary Hospital – Wilmington 815-476-9500
Mobile Vets in the area
Does your pet need care in a more relaxed setting such as your home?  Or do you not have transportation to get your pet to the Vet?  These Vets will come to you.

Safford Veterinary Services 331-212-0836
Gold Medal Veterinary 815-634-8801
Dr. Joe Mobile Vet  815-545-9288
  • Cares for abandoned, abused, lost and surrendered dogs and cats in Grundy County
  • Enforces State and County Laws for domestic animals
  • Provides resources to the public regarding cats and dogs
  • Places adoptable cats and dogs into homes
  • Returns lost pets to their owners
  • Register dogs and cats in Grundy County
I lost my dog/cat. What can I do to get him home?
Most lost animals don't stray further than 10 blocks from their home. Our first recommendation is to make a lost pet post and share it to your community's Facebook group and inform your neighbors of the missing animal. We are happy to share your lost pet post to our Facebook group as well. After having done this, you can call Grundy County Animal Control during business hours to have your pet added to our private Lost Pet database. 
How long do you hold on to stray animals?
Stray animals are held for 7 (seven) business days, after which they become the property of Grundy County Animal Control. Unclaimed animals are evaluated for health and behavior, then processed for adoption or transferred to a rescue group if they qualify for rehoming.
I need to relinquish my animal. What should I do?
Grundy County Animal Control is not a no-kill shelter. As a government agency, we must prioritize kennel space for stray animals, bite impounds, and seized animals. Those needing to rehome their animals should reach out to local rescue groups.