Vital Records

Birth, Death and Marriage Records:The Grundy County Clerk’s Office will issue certified copies of Vital Records to authorized individuals only.  To do otherwise is a violation of Illinois Law.  Vital Records are not considered public information, nor are they subject to the Freedom of Information Act.  No information regarding Vital Records will be given over the telephone under Illinois State Law (410 ILCS 535-Vital Records Act). Our office has Vital Records for events that occurred in Grundy County, IL.

Click Here for an Application for Search of Vital Records via Mail (USPS)

Certified Copy Fees

Genealogy InformationFor information on what genealogy information is available please click here.

Requirements to Obtain a Marriage/Civil Union License – By AppointmentAppointment Required, please call (815) 941-3222 (option 1) to schedule an appointment. In order to speed up the Marriage/Civil Union License process, complete the Marriage Application Worksheet (link below) to and email to, prior to the appointment.

Requirements for obtaining a license in Grundy County are as follows:

  • Must be married in Grundy County. Marriage Licenses issued in Grundy County should not be used in any other county.
  • Both parties must be 18 years of age and must appear together at the County Clerk’s office between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.
  • Persons who are 16 or 17 years of age may obtain a license only with consent of both parents. Call office for further instruction.
  • You must show valid driver’s license, State ID or valid Passport.
  • Apply at least one day, but no more than 60 days before the marriage
  • If divorced, copy of Judgement of Dissolution with Judge’s signature
  • If previous marriage/civil union has been dissolved by the death of a spouse, a certified (raised seal) death certificate is required if event occurred within the last year. Photocopy if event occurred over one year ago.
  • Any documents presented in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
  • Fee for a marriage/civil union license in Grundy County is $46.00, payable in cash or credit.
If you would like to be married in the Grundy County Courthouse by one of the Circuit Judges, you must call the Grundy County Circuit Clerk’s office to schedule an appointment at (815) 941-3259. Marriages are performed on Friday.
Doc app

Document Center

The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.

Categories always sorted by seq (sub-categories sorted within each category)
Documents sorted by SEQ in Ascending Order within category

Forms4 documents

  • Application for Search of Vital Records
    document seq 0.00
  • Authorization to Release a Birth Record to a Third Party
    document seq 0.00
  • Marriage Application Worksheet
    document seq 0.00
  • Marriage License Requirements
    document seq 0.00